What is the PADI Open Water Course?
The PADI Open Water course is the first level of diver certification. Once you have completed the course you will be a certified diver and have your licence to dive all over the world – this is your ticket to travel!
You’ll be able to dive to 18 meters without needing an Instructor to go with you. Divers never dive alone so you will dive with a buddy. Don’t worry if you are planning to take the program by alone – whenever you sign up for dive trips you’ll be buddied up with another diver of the same level as yourself so it’s a great way to meet new friends who have a common interest with you right from the start![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
Sounds good but what does it involve?
The PADI Open Water Course takes 4 days and is made up of three core components; Knowledge Development, Confined Water and Open Water. These basically translate as follows:
- Knowledge Development – this is the theory component of the course where you’ll learn about the basics of diving including diving equipment, diving skills, the effects of pressure and breathing compressed air, diving health and fitness, marine life and the environment, waves and tides, different diving conditions and managing problems. The theory can be completed here in one of our classrooms at the dive center or, if you prefer not to study on your holiday, you can complete it online before you come to Bali through PADI e-learning. If you complete elearning at home, you’ll just need a 3 day program here in Bali.
- Confined Water – This is diving in the swimming pool so that you are introduced to the gear and the skills that are involved in a relaxed, calm and safe environment. We have the largest dive training pool in Indonesia so you have lots of space to swim around and practice. The pool is also 3 depth levels – 1 meter, 2 meters and 4 meters so you can see how it feels to swim up and down.
- Open Water – The best part! Open Water means diving in the ocean and you’ll make 4 different dives during your course. Two dives will be on our local reef here in Sanur and the final two dives will be in Tulamben. Sanur is perfect for your first two dives as there are some sandy areas where you can settle down and focus on your skills. Once you’ve mastered the skills there is also a very pretty coral reef to explore with lots of brightly coloured reef fish. The dives in Tulamben will blow your mind! During your final two dives you’ll feel a lot more confident and you’ll explore the US Liberty Shipwreck which lays just off the beach and starts form just 8 meters deep. The wreck is totally encrusted in coral and home to over 400 species of reef fish!
World class diving in Tulamben
Is there any reason I can’t take the program?
- You’ll need to be able to swim 200 meters unassisted. It’s not timed and it’s not a race, you just need to be able to complete the distance in the pool using whichever stroke you prefer.
- You’ll also need to float for 10 minutes. You can tread water or float on your back or even swim – it’s up to you, just make sure you don’t touch the bottom or the sides of the pool for 10 minutes.
- You need to be in good health for diving. This is important so as soon as you make an enquiry about the program we will send you a medical questionnaire. If you can answer “No” to all questions you are good to go! If you have any “Yes” answers, don’t worry, it just means that you will need a doctor to sign the form for you. That can be your own doctor before you come to Bali or we can recommend a doctor here in Bali – it’s a very simple and cheap process.
- You need to be at least 10 years old when you start the course.
Can I get any discount on the price?
Yes! We have 10% discounts for starting the program on one of our discount days. If you are taking the full 4 day program you’ll get 10% discount for starting on any Monday or Thursday. If you chose to take elearning before you come to Bali, you’ll just need a 3 day program here and you’ll get 10% discount for starting on any Tuesday or Friday.
Your Bali Scuba Instructor will be with you every dive of the way.
Does it matter if I am on my own?
No problem! We’ll put you together with other student divers and if we don’t have another booking then you’ll get a one on one program with your own private instructor!
How big are the groups?
We believe in safety first at all times so we have an absolute maximum of 4 students to one instructor. This also means you get a much more personalised service and learning experience.
When is the best time to dive in Bali?
We are extremely lucky here in Bali because the diving is good all year round. Even during the wet months the diving remains great with wonderful coral reefs and abundant marine life.
When can I start?
Any time! Just email us on email@example.com and we’ll get you booked in! If you’d like to see the course on our website click here. We are looking forward to welcoming you to Bali Scuba soon.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]